Beat toxicity build-up with these antioxidants
“Detox” is easily associated with a diet or cleanse through copious amounts of funny-looking liquid concoctions. While this kind of digestive detox is helpful, there is another kind of detoxification process that takes place in the liver. Given our daily exposure to environmental toxicity, this “liver detox” strives to manage toxic trash, build-ups, and “rusting” that get in a way of our natural processes and healing. This is actually a very complex process that requires ANTIOXIDANTS to be present inside and outside our cells.
Antioxidants and their Benefits
Your body has a natural way of “detoxification” or ridding the toxins it gets exposed to everyday. However, when the toxicity builds up, it usually requires more antioxidants for the added workload. Antioxidants work like clean-up and protective agents inside the body, fighting the free radicals that cause unwell symptoms and diseases.
Aside from eating antioxidant-rich food such as fruits and vegetables, taking quality antioxidant supplements is one way to protect your body from toxicity. Here are the different antioxidants and what they can do:
- Vitamin C – Vitamin C is the body’s primary water-soluble antioxidant. Present in our blood, body fluids, and inside all cells, it protects against free radical damage. Many studies have shown the antioxidant benefits of Vitamin C, including managing occurrence of atherosclerosis (deposition of plaque and fat in the inner arterial walls). An esterified and buffered form of Vitamin C reduces the acidity and makes it gentler on the stomach. BioBalance provides Ester-C Bio which has a combination of Vitamin C and bioflavonoids that protect the skin, joints, heart, and the immune system.
- Alpha Lipoic Acid (ALA) – Aside from protecting the body against free radical damage, ALA has also been shown to “recycle” or restore the activity of other antioxidants such as Vitamins E and C, and Glutathione. It supports the liver in its detoxification efforts, thus helping to protect tissues against damage caused by toxic heavy metals such as lead, mercury, arsenic, and cadmium. ALA also promotes healthy aging and production of energy from the food that we eat.
- Selenium – Selenium plays an essential role in the body’s antioxidant defense system. It is a detoxifying agent that is essential in several functions of different parts of the body such as the reproductive system and thyroid gland. Usually, patients with elevated blood levels of mercury and toxicity are prescribed with Selenium for cellular protection.
- N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine (NAC) – This potent antioxidant aids in the production of glutathione which is an important element in protecting the body’s cells and tissues from the effects of free radicals. Many studies support NAC’s antioxidant benefits for specialized disease cases of high oxidative stress. NAC is usually best taken upon the prescription of a doctor especially for those with current illness condition.
- Ubiquinol (Active form of Coenzyme Q10) – Ubiquinol or activated CoQ10 is found in large amounts in organs where energy production is high: heart, muscles, kidney, and liver. As a fat-soluble antioxidant, it works together with other antioxidants in protecting the body from free radical damage. Ubiquinol supports energy production, as well as cardiovascular and neurological functions.
These antioxidant supplements are available in BioBalance. The products available are guaranteed bio-active, bio-available, and bio-identical. They are also free from common allergens and contain no artificial colors, flavors, sweeteners/sugar, preservatives or sodium.
It is still best to consult your doctor before taking any supplement.